Recently, we have started reaching out to other organizations in the Washington, DC, area that offer activities, events, and resources that are in line with the values of GO-Adventures. The goal of building relationships with these other folks is to combine our skills and program offerings to bring clients new and memorable experiences.
Here are a few of the collaborative programs we are pleased to offer:
- Big Kids Camp – A weekend of adventure instruction (options include rock climbing, caving, mountain biking, canoeing, backpacking, etc.), combined with a wilderness medicine component and a fitness and nutrition component. Imagine going to a mountain retreat, waking up early and getting a fitness boot camp to stretch you out and warm you up before you head out to climbing a secluded rock face. After lunch, you learn how to splint an arm or treat heat exhaustion, and then you return to the campsite for a delicious and nutritious meal that you prepare under the supervision of a nutrition expert. Next Trip Scheduled for: OPEN ENROLLMENT – Minimum of 6 participants.
- Ice Climbing Adventure – We’ve partnered with Gary Dunn of Alpine-Inspirations to bring you an action-packed weekend of ice climbing. Meet us in the Adirondacks of New York for three days of ice climbing instruction, and enjoy the local restaurants and pubs minutes from scenic lodging in the beautiful mountain setting. The town of Keene, New York, nestled in the ‘Dacks’ is known far and wide for its excellent ice climbing opportunities, yet is within a 8-hour drive of Washington, DC. Next Trip Scheduled for: OPEN ENROLLMENT – Minimum of 2 participants.
- Flight to Freedom – Visit an 1850s farm, and experience a simulated journey from slavery to freedom at the Historic Button Farm. Participate in authentic plantation chores and experience the rigors of plantation life, before making your journey to freedom marked by night shadows, slave catchers, and the great unknown. This real-life journey will carry you across fields and thickets to secret hideaways along streams and culverts. The journey culminates after dark when you reach freedom at the “Circle of Light” where your experiences and impressions of the day are revealed. Next Trip Scheduled for: OPEN ENROLLMENT – Minimum of 6 participants.
- Potomac River Expedition with Fly Fishing Consultants, LLC – Integrating adventure education (our forte) with environmental education (Rob Snowhite’s forte), the PRE will challenge your group to a one to three-day paddling, biking, or hiking trip along the beautiful Potomac River. Along your journey, learn to fly fish with Rob Snowhite, of Fly Fishing Consultants, LLC – one of the premier fly fishing schools in the DC area. Next Trip Scheduled for: OPEN ENROLLMENT – Minimum of 4 participants.
- ROPES and Giant Zipline at Highpoint Farms – We have just started working with Highpoint Farms Catering, out in Clarksburg, MD, and are excited to have people out to ride the giant zip line! Over 600 feet long, this zip line is fast and fun – and the food provided by Highpoint Catering is second to none! Next Trip Scheduled for: OPEN ENROLLMENT – Minimum of 8 participants.
And more to come!
If you are interested in joining our ‘Joint Venture’ program, please contact Eriq Powers **.
Here are a few of the partnerships we are building to help us create these unique experiences:
About Rebecca J. Scritchfield, MA, RD, LD, ACSM Health Fitness Specialist – Rebecca Scritchfield is a leading nutrition and exercise expert for the metro Washington, D.C. area. She helps people reach their full wellness potential through realistic approaches to behavior changes that fit their busy lives. Her motto “nothing changes until you do” exemplifies her belief in the power individuals already possess to realize the lifestyle they want.
About Occasions, Inc. – Occasions is a full-service boutique event & meeting management company and tour operator with a strong focus on delivering personalized customer service. We provide innovative and strategic planning services, specializing in high quality meetings, incentives, special events, and customized group tours and excursions. Our distinguished clientele includes corporations, associations, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, government, and private individuals.
About Dr. Ellen Smith – Combining her passion for emergency medicine and her love of adventure sports led to the development of Dr. Ellen Smith’s Wilderness Medicine Field Course. Originally designed to teach medical students how to apply and adapt emergency patient assessment, diagnosis, treatment and procedures to the outdoor environment, the course has evolved to include adventure racers, tri-athletes, and outdoor adventure enthusiasts, as well as nurses, physician assistants, athletic trainers, police officers, paramedics, EMT’s, and many others interested in outdoor medicine and safety.
About Patrick ‘Sarge’ Avon – A former Dental Tech & Fitness Instructor with the US Navy, Avon, 47, has channeled his passion for health and exercise into an intense, effective, yet extremely enjoyable fitness regimen known as, “The Sergeant’s Program.” Why the military focus? Because everyone knows how tough basic training is — you can’t make it through without getting into shape! Now a military veteran, Sarge has completed ten marathons, two full Ironman triathlons (Lake Placid 2001 and 2003) and at age 41, received his Black Belt in Korean martial art Hapkido. Recently asked what his greatest athletic strength is, Avon replied “perseverance… At 5″10 and 200 pounds, I’m not very fast…. sort of a slow moving tank that never quits”.
About The Menare Foundation, Inc. – The Menare Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of Underground Railroad history, historic sites and environments and to the creation of associated educational programs. Through assistance and training, Menare works with individuals and organizations to preserve the Underground Railroad legacy using history as a resource for community revitalization, race dialogue and cultural growth.
Participants experience a sensory journey through taste, touch, smell, sights and sounds of plantation life as they conduct authentic plantation tasks before making the harrowing journey to freedom.
About Rob Snowhite – “My background in consulting, education, fly fishing, and science gives me a unique approach to fly fishing education and instruction. You will gain a whole new perspective on fly fishing that you will not gain from a local fly shop, magazine, or tv show. Maybe you have a general question about fly fishing, contact me and I’ll do my best to answer your request.”